The first couple of weeks of having braces can be challenging ones. Following the visual change of seeing yourself with hardware on your teeth comes the physical realization that preparing meals, cooking, and eating might also come with some adjustments as well.
The following recipes have been compiled with your comfort in mind during this period. Living with braces doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy some delicious meals!
Breakfast: Scrumptious Banana Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- Optional toppings: berries, yogurt, toasted coconut, whatever you please!
- Combine your dry ingredients in one bowl: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your wet ingredients: egg, milk, vegetable oil, and mashed bananas.
- Stir your dry mixture into your wet mixture to create your batter.
- Heat your frying pan over medium high heat and add oil. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using about 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides; serve hot.
- Add your optional (soft) toppings and enjoy!
Lunch: Healthy Vegetarian Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 can kidney beans
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: sour cream, chives, grated cheddar cheese
- Heat oil or butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin.
- Sauté until the onion is soft and fragrant.
- Add your remaining ingredients and stir. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer over low until vegetables are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve topped with sour cream, chives, cheese, and enjoy!
Dinner: Cauliflower Carbonara
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into ¾ inch pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 cups of bacon, chopped
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated
- 6 cups orecchiette
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss chopped cauliflower in ¼ cup oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Roast cauliflower for 30-35 minutes, toss halfway through.
- Grate garlic over cauliflower while hot and set aside.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- Combine bacon, egg yolks, 1 cup parmesan, 2 teaspoon pepper, 2 tablespoon oil in a bowl. Whisk to incorporate together.
- Cook pasta and add to mixture. Toss with ½ cup cooking liquid.
- Add roasted cauliflower and parsley and toss again.
- Serve and enjoy!