While your braces work hard to straighten and perfect your teeth, it’s more important than ever to maintain proper oral hygiene – and some extra steps you may not expect are necessary for protecting your teeth.
Here are our top 5 tips for keeping your smile clean and healthy while wearing braces:
- Brush your braces thoroughly, making sure the bristles of your toothbrush spread into the gap between the wire and tooth. Plaque build up around braces can cause discolouration, so brushing properly with fluoride toothpaste is essential.
- As braces can cause dental sensitivity, you may want to try a toothpaste specifically made for sensitive teeth. A sore jaw should never prevent you from keeping your braces clean!
- Use a proxabrush to ensure that all debris has been removed from around the brackets and under all wires. You can get a proxabrush (or “Christmas tree brush”) from your orthodontist.
- Ask your orthodontist about the proper way to floss while wearing braces. As food can more easily get caught in teeth with braces, this is an important step that should never be neglected.
- After brushing and flossing, use a fluoride rinse. This step will decrease plaque, as well as clear any lingering food particles, keeping your teeth and braces as clean as possible!
Another key factor in maintaining your braces is diet. Check out our list of 5 foods to avoid with braces, and our delicious alternatives!